Saturday, March 22, 2008

Celebrating Women: A Note from Senator Debbie Stabenow

This entry is part of a series in celebration of Women's History Month.

Women’s History Month gives us the opportunity to reflect on the trailblazing women who made it possible for us to be where we are today. As I was walking to the Senate chamber the other day, I stopped at the portrait of Hattie Caraway of Arkansas that hangs prominently in the corridor. In 1932, she became the first woman ever elected to the Senate. Although she never gave a floor speech, earning her the nickname "Silent Hattie," she became a leading advocate of progressive causes. Her Republican opponents attacked her because she was a woman – one opponent even used the slogan “Arkansas needs another man in the Senate.”

But Hattie Caraway wouldn’t be kept down. She cosponsored the Equal Rights Amendment and supported much of FDR’s New Deal. And despite fierce opposition because of her gender, she built a coalition of women, veterans, and labor organizations and won re-election.

I wonder what she’d think if she could see America now.

I wonder what she’d say about my friend and colleague, Hillary Clinton. I have to believe that, like me, she would be awed by Hillary’s knowledge, experience, and passion for change.

I’ve known Hillary for almost 25 years, and I’m confident that she’ll make a great President. We met at a national conference where we were both speaking about the need to stand up for children who were victims of abuse and neglect. Hillary’s wonderful passion and commitment to children left a lasting impression on me.

Now, as colleagues in the U.S. Senate, I continue to be amazed by her commitment to the issues that matter most to middle-class Americans. She co-chairs the Senate Manufacturing Caucus, and understands the issues facing businesses and workers today who are struggling to compete in the global economy. Every day, Democrats in the Senate are fighting to protect our middle-class way of life in this country, and I am honored to have Hillary leading the charge.

She understands that health care is a right, not a privilege. In the greatest country in the world, something is wrong when hard-working families cannot afford health care for their children. Hillary understands the complex problems our health care system faces, and she has real solutions. When she’s President, I’m looking forward to working with her to pass universal health care.

I’ve watched Hillary on the Senate Armed Services Committee question Administration officials and hold them accountable. I know that on day one, she will be ready to serve as Commander-in-Chief.

And, as a fellow Great Lakes Senator, Hillary and I work closely together to protect the Great Lakes and our environment. We’ve worked together to ban oil and gas drilling in the Lakes, to stop the spread of invasive species, and to continue efforts to clean up pollution. She understands the importance of protecting our priceless natural resources for generations to come.

Last year, my first grandchild, Lily, was born. Like Hattie Caraway, Lily doesn’t say much just yet. But I’m looking forward to holding her in my arms during the inauguration of our first woman president. I want Lily, and millions of other girls like her, to dream big dreams. I want Lily to know that the ultimate glass ceiling has been shattered, and that nothing will stand in her way.

No comments: