Saturday, March 22, 2008

Celebrating Women: A Note from Congresswoman Laura Richardson

I’ve had the honor of serving my district in California as a Member of Congress for just over six months now, but I’ve had the honor of knowing Hillary for much longer. Senator Clinton and I first met during my city council and state legislature days when she visited my district in Los Angeles ten years ago. We spent her visit, and several others since then, talking about the issues faced by the residents of my district, and I was incredibly impressed both by her knowledge of their challenges and by her commitment to improving their lives.

Hillary's wisdom and empathy have been the driving force behind her work throughout her career, from her time with the Children’s Defense Fund to her work on behalf of the children and families of New York as Senator. Women’s History Month is a time to honor the historic accomplishments of the women who came before us, but I think it should also be a time to reflect upon women who have influenced our own personal history.

My history is very much tied to the history of my generation. As a child of a mixed marriage in the 1960s, I could not understand why strangers threw eggs at my mother’s car or cursed at her in the grocery store. My mother tried to explain these things to me, but no explanation could cover the hurt so eventually she just said to me, “You should be a person who makes better laws.” From that day forward, I knew that I wanted to be a public servant.

I know that not everyone who serves can trace their desire to do so to such a precise moment, but I know after spending time with Senator Clinton in California to South Carolina to Ohio, that the traits of leadership were with Hillary throughout her lifetime as well. From the courage to face neighborhood bullies after an early move, to the strength she exhibited in her commencement address at Wellesley, she has always been an individual of uncommon ability and she has continued to put that to use throughout her career.

She once told me that as a young candidate for class president, she ran against several of the boys from her school. She lost that election and afterwards, one of her opponents came up to her and told her that she was silly if she thought a girl could be elected president. I’m glad Senator Clinton didn’t stop there, and not only do I believe it is possible for a woman to become president, I believe in my heart that Hillary is the best leader right now for what our country needs and what we can achieve.

No comments: